10 October 2005

What book shall we read next?

Now that it is my turn to choose a book, I feel flooded by a curious mix of anxiety and raw power. I'm worried that I'll choose a book that turns out to be disappointing but the idea that I can choose anything makes me quite giddy with delight.

I was all set to pick an Australian author - a book which fairly reeked with the smell of rotting mangoes on a summers day, a book that was so gritty that you could feel the sand between your toes and hear the waves crashing around you, a book that would un-nerve us like a huntsman scuttling up the wall, a book that looked dry and dusty and was under water restrictions because of the drought.

But then I went to the book store and realised that I don't really have a choice at all. We have to read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

8 comments:

Craig said...

Excellent! I was secretly hoping that would be the choice, but not suggesting it since that might influence you one way or the other.

Matt said...

Oh, you SO rock, LG. Great choice.

Craig said...

So, how are we all coming on the book? I have a feeling this one might move rather quickly.

Laziest Girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laziest Girl said...

That would be hint, would it not?

MC Etcher said...

Almost done!

Matt said...

Sadly, I've not had the chance to start, yet, but I don't think you'll give me much grief for being slow about it. Will you?

Craig said...

All done.