05 July 2005

My dear and unfortunate successor...Review of The Historian

A warning to all who have not yet completed The Historian, this review will contain revealing information about the book. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I was first attracted to Elizabeth Kostova's novel The Historian when I heard that it had been purchased for just over two million dollars, a record for a first novel. I needed to know what made publishing companies feel it was worth that. I assumed that, like most of the over-hyped works gaining media recognition, it would turn out to be written by a slightly less intelligent than average baboon with an over-inflated sense of self-importance...but I'm not a cynic. Happily, it was not the next Da Vinci Code as many had promised, but rather an intricate weaving of story with history, of lives with life.

Our story is told to us by a nameless narrator, the sixteen year old daughter of an American diplomat living in Amsterdam. As she recounts the story, she pulls from not only her own experience but also from the letters of her father, her mother and her father's mentor Bartholomew Rossi. Using these letter and this perspective, the story unfolds in three separate timelines: Rossi's initial discovery (1930), the story of her mother and father (1950's), and her own quest to discover the truth (1972). She finds a strange book in her father's library; it is blank save for a woodcut in the center depicting a dragon holding a banner with a single word: Drakulya. Inside the book, she finds a letter dated 1930 that begins..."My dear and unfortunate successor."


If you have not yet completed the book, you may wish to skip the following section.

Begin Spoilers:


Once she begins to question her father about the book and letters, the story begins in earnest. Her father tells her of Professor Rossi's disappearance, how he met our heroine's mother Helen who died not long after the birth of her child, and of the search he and Helen conducted to find Rossi. The more he tells, the more obsessed with the search for Dracula he becomes again, eventually leaving his daughter with a series of letters continuing the story and the cryptic message, "If you are reading this, forgive me. I have gone to look for your mother." The story he tells explains how he and Helen went searching for the grave of Vlad Tepes in the hopes that they would also find Professor Rossi, mentor to Paul and father to Helen. Their journey takes them to Istanbul, to Hungary and finally to Bulgaria and the resting place of Dracula himself. During their travels, Helen is attacked and bitten by one of Dracula's minions, leaving both Paul and Helen with the fear that she will become undead. When they finally locate the grave of Dracula, they find Rossi, who explains to them that he was being kept there to catalog the great library of the undead Vlad. While they are too late to find Dracula or to save Rossi from death, they provide him with salvation from an eternity of undeath.

When we return to 1972, our fearless narrator is reading the letters her father had written and trying to catch up with him in his search for her mother. She chases him to a monastery in France where he believed (until recently) that Helen had jumped to her death 15 years before. This same monastery was also the origin of the secrets which helped transform Vlad, the ruler of Wallachia, into Dracula, undead, undying evil. It was now also the resting place for Dracula's sarcophagus. Rather than finding Helen, Paul and his daughter find the vampire who is still looking for a scholar to be his eternal assistant. During a struggle Dracula is shot from behind by Helen, who pierces his heart with a silver bullet (CK note: I thought that was just for werewolves). Dracula is slain and his body turns to dust. The threat is over, until the present day when our narrator, now a grown woman, visits a museum in Philadelphia. As she leaves someone runs to her with the things she has forgotten, the notebook she was sure she had just put away and a small book that was empty save for an image in the center.

While Kostova's writing did not reveal the meaning of life or give greater depth to any particular topic, the writing was done well, especially for a first novel. Each character was given a distinct personality and a purpose behind his or her actions. The story was intricately detailed, but still easily understood. I enjoyed the book and feel that it was more than worth my time and was certainly better than most popular fiction...though I'm not sure about $2,000,000 though.

While on the surface, it is a novel about Dracula, in the end we are left with the story of a young girl examining the forces that shaped her life. Over the years, her grandfather, father and mother have all been engulfed by the same obsession, an obsession that took away her mother and grandfather before she ever had a chance to know them. In the end, they overcome the obsession and she, her mother and father are reunited, then years later with the simple gift of a book, the obsession becomes hers as well.

Some things that I would like to examine a little more:

What was the purpose of kidnapping Rossi? Did Dracula really need a librarian that badly? Was he lonely? He makes note of how the library shows that the nature of man is evil and that only evil can ever be perfected. Was he simply looking for someone to assist in his research and help him perfect evil so that he could be a ruler not of a small region, but of the world?

How difficult would it be to have to put a stake through the heart of a friend or loved one? Whether they were dead, like Helen or still alive and talking to you like Rossi?

Who left the narrator the book in the library in Philadelphia? A minion of Vlad or the Impaler himself?

What about the fact that both Helen and the narrator were descendants of Vlad? Did this have some bearing on why they became involved and how things turned out or were they merely coincidental?



End Spoilers



Hopefully, I've covered all the main points. Feel free to chime in with anything I missed. Argue, discuss and comment below.

14 comments:

Laziest Girl said...

Ok, I read and I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. It was fun and entertaining. To kick it off -

I liked the parts when they were searching for clues etc in libraries around the world. This interested me and I like the way she wrote about something that isn't really that interesting but she made it feel interesting and even a bit suspenseful.

I didn't like that it was so plot driven (but I guess that is the nature of the mass-appeal beast). I also disliked the the changing narrators - I didn't really bond with anyone in particular. I mean, I get the point of the different narrators, but they seemed a little stilted to me. I wondered if she had somehow managed to stick to just the girl, or just the father, if the characterisation would have been stronger. Perhaps she could have made more use of the letters from the past mechanism - I thought that worked well. I think if I had bonded with one of the characters, I would have been more rivetted by the story.

And the story around Helen was trite - "oh no, I have evil in me, I want to die". Give me a break - this really felt contrived but is, again, more about unrealistic characters. I mean, how could he have fallen in love with her? We hardly even knew her - the enigma angle was just dull.

And I admit it. I have a problem with Vampires. The part when they finally confront the big D, well, it wasn't that rivetting.

The whole kidnapping Rossi story line wasn't very realistic either. I mean, he wanted someone to catalogue the books - but he kidnaps a respected academic scholar. Puh-lease.

Don't get me wrong, I did like it and I would recommend it but, well, I had a few issues.

Is this enough to start us off?

Craig said...

Ooh, what do you know? Pestering people really does pay off.

The only character I really felt much of a connection with was the father; I think because we get to see him in both the present and past storylines.

I completely agree on both the Helen and Rossi issues.

Helen was far too meledramatic but then again, maybe she had just read one too many Gothic novels while searching for Dracula. Melodrama seems to go well with the theme of vampires.

The reasoning behind kidnapping Rossi was quite perplexing to me, which is why I mentioned it in the original post as something to discuss further. I didn't really get it, but I was hoping that perhaps one of you brighter-than-I folks out there might be able to explain a little better. I'm still sticking with the whole Vlad was lonely and needed some intellectual stimulation angle for now. (Kostova's going to be on the Diane Rehm show today, perhaps she'll make things clearer there.)

You have a problem with vampires? You really must have made a pretty bad goth.

Matt said...

My overall feeling about The Historian is that it was a nice try at something great, though it ultimately failed and ended being rather mediocre, affable fiction that may be good for afternoons at the beach or airplane flights (ironically enough) but nothing to write home about. I certainly won't be recommending it, though I am glad I read it. More on that later.

Most everything said above I agree with, so I won't spend much time rehashing all of that. Also, I've already pontificated a bit on the use of the fluctuating narrative voice and the embedded levels of quotation marks. This was one of the great failures of this novel. The idea that almost the entire story is told through letters and notes read by the daughter is fine, and I would have applauded it if (a) she hadn't been embarking on an adventure of her own (for Christ's sake, just let her be the narrator... she doesn't need her own, completely unessential wrap-around story), and (b) if the finding of these letters and the unfolding of the story hadn't all happened exactly chronologically, one picking up right where the last one left off. What are those odds?

Another thing: I do like a well-researched novel and have the utmost respect for the novelists willing and prepared to devote their time to research, especially historical research. I, myself, would love to try that one day on a full length novel, but I feel (strongly) that the facts you put in your novel should serve a purpose. In this one, I felt that a certain amount of detail was superfluous, especially when describing these foreign cities and even, to a degree, some of the historical references that didn't have much to do with the story. Granted, the majority did serve a purpose, but enough was left in to jar me out of my reading and make me wonder why we got all of that detail. I know that after doing extensive research on a subject, it's hard not to put it all in. I've had that problem myself and got some good advice to cut out anything unnecessary. I don't think Ms. Kostova got the same guidance.

In fact, both of these items were annoyances that could have been helped by some better editing, I think, and I would have been perfectly willing to overlook them if the writing, itself, was stellar. Sadly, it was not. Not to over-use the word, but it was simply mediocre. Part of my problem is this: my standards are quite high. I need a good story, good writing, and a good voice. Actually, two out of three will usually do me. The Historian had a good story, no doubt about that, but it lacked in the quality of the writing, and the voice, as I've said, was all over the place.

Also, I'm afraid I went in with high expectations, which may have tainted my opinion a bit. Earlier this year I had the enormous pleasure of reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. There are a lot of similarities between these two novels. Both are historical fiction with fantastical elements, written by women who spent the better part of a decade writing them. Both are these women's debut novels and are big, thick, fuck-all, "put aside a good chunk of time" books. Jonathan Strange was excellent. It scored high on all three of my criteria, so I hoped for the same here. However, by about Chapter 3, those hopes were adequately dashed.

Oh… so why am I glad I read it? Well, it was a fun read, for one, and lighter than the stuff I'd been reading previously. In that sense it served to cleanse the palate, so to speak. But also, when Ms. Kostova embarked on this novel, she made some pretty bold choices, and in some of those, she failed just as boldly. Lessons can be learned from all that. I say to her: thanks for the tip. If I ever think of trying this sort of meandering narrative voice, I'll remember this book and try it another way.

MC Etcher said...

Quote: "He sipped his whiskey. "You're stubborn about stories, aren't you?" You're the stubborn one, I longed to say, but I held my tongue; I wanted the story more than I did the quarrel."

The Historian is luxuriously written, in a vaguely stiff but engaging style with just enough endearing touches to make it likable. The style seems stuffy at first, but in the end very real.

It’s voice is sotto voce, and leads to easy suspension of disbelief. Word usage is smart, but never cutesy or clever. Descriptions are no longer than they need to be - not flowery, but concise and with personality.

Quote: "Paul, my friend! Let's go put our feet up and speak Dutch."

The enaging writing style is important, since the prose is much stronger than the plot. In the end, this is an almost modern-day vampire hunt, and who better to track as our undead questing beast than Dracula himself?

I began reading the book without knowing what it was about. I didn’t read the flap or any synopsis. I just dove in, which is a good thing, since reading a book flap about a Cold War quest to find and kill Dracula probably would have led me to put the book back on the shelf. Especially a 650+ page tale of vampire chasing.

Quote: "When you handle books all day long, every new one is a friend and a tempatation."

The story unfolds as a series of flashbacks, told in the form of letters. I kept expecting the letters to end, and to catch up to the present day (even though the introduction tells us otherwise, I held on to hope).

The letters never end. The entire book is a flashback, which is the source of its refined tone and a weakness. Since we know the people lived to write the letters, they didn’t die during the dire scene they describe. Knowing they survived saps much of the suspense and danger. Instead of a burning need to finish this chapter to make sure our hero(ine) manages to escape, we have a more calm interest. There is no sense of urgency. It’s all old news, it’s history, and we’ll find out in due time.

I lived in Cold War Europe in the 1970's, and I found it very well described, very real. The whole of the novel has a believable feel to it.

Quote: "I'd begun flippantly, but I finished slowly."

The book is easily a hundred pages too long, if not two hundred. In the end, I was just begging for it to be all over. All too quickly, it was over. In a very abrupt turn of the page/turn of the corner, the violent end comes, leaving us off balance. While likely a realistic ending, (within the suspended disbelief of a vampire novel) it was not a very satisfying one.

Quote: "I felt all the annoyance of relief."

That said, I’m glad I read The Historian, for everything it has taught me about prose and plot. One of my favorite books, Lolita – is much more about language than it is nymphettes. (If there’s anything dirty about it, it’s the way someone who learned English as a second language can command it so well, damn him).

In the end, the journey is more important to me than where I end up. I’d recommend the book, but I’d also recommend the reader take their time and savor the style.

Laziest Girl said...

You know what the biggest problem I had with this book? The characters were not well developed. Firstly, the Big-D was such a let down.

Firstly, the Big-D was evil, cruel and frequently discussed as ok with killing people in horrible ways. He ruled harshly and tried to defend his country from the Ottomans. Then they killed him and took over his people etc. This makes him sound rather heroic - you know - the one little guy against the vast armies etc.

So the Big-D comes back to life but instead of coming back and annihilating his enemies, he slouches around moodily. Eventually he is found lurking in a sealed up tower with only books for company.

Just between you and me, this is complete rubbish. Any vampire worth his salt will have a castle filled with slaves and virgins for every meal. Instead, our vampire, the epitome of evil, is actually a reclusive book worm with an nasty streak. He didn't come across as throughly evil, he was more like an eccentric uncle who really needed a cup of coffee. He was a bit menacing, but honestly, I've been more menacing at the Christmas sales.

Big-D had no real identity in this book. He had no anima. He was a shapeless and shadowy form and I was disappointed. At no time did the writer try to reconcile the contrasting aspects of the Big-D - the cruel murderer, the academic and the scholar, the hate-filled revenge seeker, the nice guy who didn't bite Helen a third time. I felt that the writer just didn't have a handle on Dracula the person, so to speak.

MC Etcher said...

I've likely missed the reasoning for this, some paragraph my eye accidentally skipped...

But was there a reason, in the end, for not providing the reader with names for the characters?

A first and last name for the main girl character, for example.

MC Etcher said...

It seems likely to me that Dracula would have wanted someone highly skilled to be able to read and appreciate his books.

Their many languages would require a scholar to accurately catalogue.

Plus, after hundreds of years cooped up inside, it's not surprising Dracula likes to read, and wants to discuss his books.

Hell, we're not even 100 years old yet, and we're doing it.

MC Etcher said...

The castle full of slaves and virgins is dramatic and compelling, but it seems more likely and more safe to keep the group small.

I would expect Dracula to have at least two vampire guards, and at least one human guard. But no one at all? Unlikely.

Craig said...

1. I don't remember ever seeing any reason given for the lack of names. I took to calling her Elizabeth to myself, since the author based the book on the idea that dracula was listeneing to the stories her father told her as a girl.

I think the main reason is that if people had names, it would lessen the confusion and there simply wasn't enough with the multiple timelines and letters within letters within letters.

2. Right, but he could have just started a blog to discuss his books. undeadlibrarian.blogspot.com Official book discussion site of Vlad, Prince of Wallachia.

3. I guess if you live in a tomb, you don't feel much need for guards. No salesman come to the door. No one comes asking for canned food donations. The only people stopping by are obsessed historians with smelly books.

MC Etcher said...

So - what's the next book?

It's Invisible Lizard's turn, I believe?

Matt said...

I guess if we're going alphabetical, I would be next. I just bought the latest Mark Helprin novel, Freddy and Fredericka, and I'm dying to get started on it. Any objections?

Laziest Girl said...

sure, I'm up for it.

MC Etcher said...

Works for me!

Craig said...

I'll make it unanimous then.